Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to make drastic changes in order to notice an improvement in the quality of your life. At the same time, you don’t need to wait a long time in order to see the measurable results that come from taking positive action. All you have to do is take small steps, and take them consistently.
Here are few small ways to do better in your life NOW:
- Meditating: The practice of meditation helps slow us down. It allows us to let go of this sense of urgency. Once you begin meditating daily, life as you knew it will begin to take on some interesting twists and turns. Old habits will break down, outdated belief systems may come into question and as a bonus, you’ll likely start sleeping like a baby. Daily meditation will have positive effects on just about every aspect of your life, such us: waking up earlier, have more patience, you will drink less alcohol, you stop seeking external happiness, you can do less and accomplish more, begin trusting yourself more, make faster decisions, less fear of missing out, more understanding of – “you only live once”. Whatever happens will be exciting and amazing!
- Journaling: An ancient tradition, one that dates back to at least 10th century in Japan. Successful people throughout history have kept journals. A journal helps you understand your poor habits and create better ones, improves success with your new lifestyle, boost memory and comprehension, clarify your thoughts and feelings, reduce stress, improve your communication skills, spark your creativity, gain better self-awareness You’ll discover that your journal is an all-accepting, nonjudgmental friend, a great motivation tool to stick to your plan, its healing and may provide the cheapest therapy you will ever get.
You can start with keeping “Morning Pages”, tool suggested by Julia Cameron. As a daily practice, Morning Pages is simply three pages of longhand, stream of consciousness writing, done first thing in the morning (you’re trying to catch yourself before your ego’s defenses are in place). This daily routine is the key to a clearer mind, better ideas, less anxiety, discover your creativity, will help you became a better idea generator.. Do not over-think Morning Pages: just put three pages of anything on the page…and then do three more pages tomorrow. Morning pages will change your life!
- Walking – Is a refreshing alternative to complicated aerobic routines and overpriced gym memberships. This activity will not only melt away the pounds, but will leave you on an emotional high. It’s free, enjoyable and already a part of everyday life. All you need to do is correct your technique, walk faster and for longer so you will lose weight as well. Best of all, walking makes you feel good about yourself. For people suffering from depression, walking three to four times a week for 30 minutes has been shown to enhance their mood.
- Brain Fitness: Brain training can improve your life in many ways: faster thinking, better memory, getting things done, trying new things, finding words, sharper listening, sharper vision, quicker reactions, safer driving, self-confidence, good mood. Games and puzzles that are intellectually challenging give your brain a workout. Over time, when one type of puzzle becomes easy for you, try a more advanced version or a new game. In order to benefit your mind, puzzles must always be challenging and engaging.
- Coloring book: are not just for kids anymore! More and more adults are getting into the soothing art of coloring in. Adult coloring books are created specifically to help you de-stress by focusing the mind. Psychologists say that focus coloring requires the satisfaction that comes with finishing the job and the meditative state induces how people relax even if they don’t stay within the lines. Coloring books are huge stress reducers, are sure to get you feeling calm and relaxed after a stressful day and are here to stay the same way chesses and puzzles have been with us for decades.
- Self-loving: Self-love is important to living well. It influences who you pick for a mate, the image you project at work, and how you cope with the problems in your life. When we act in ways that expand self-love in us, we begin to accept much better our weaknesses as well as our strengths, have less need to explain away our short-comings, have compassion for ourselves as human beings struggling to find personal meaning, are more centered in our life purpose and values, and expect living fulfillment through our own efforts.Few steps to self-love: became mindful, practice good self-care, act on what you need rather than what you want, set boundaries, protect yourself, forgive yourself, live intentionally.
It is true that you can only love a person as much as you love yourself. The more self-love you have for yourself, the better prepared you are for healthy relating. Even more, you will start to attract people and circumstances to you that support your well-being.
- Forgive, Let Go and Focus on the Present: Forgiveness can change your life! We need to learn to let go. We need to be able to forgive, so we can move on and be happy. Is there any grievance or unhappiness from the past which you have been holding on? If so, it’s time to let it go. Holding on to them prevents you from moving on and becoming a better person. Break away from the past, forgive yourself, and move on. The past is over, bring your focus back to the present moment. What are you doing now? What joy can you find in what is happening right now? Find the joy in life now, as it happens, stop reliving the past and gently bring yourself back to the present moment.
- Time Management: Benefits you in all areas of your life. Time management is all about spending your time in the right places and on the right things. It’s about knowing your priorities, obligations and schedule. It’s also about ensuring you spend your time where it matters most to you. Your life will improve in many ways: less stress, get more done, more opportunities, less life frictions and problems, less wasted time, more FREE time, improves your reputation, less effort, more time where it matters. By managing your time better, you will get better in all areas of life!
- Slow down: After you do better in managing your time, now its time to slow down. Our results-driven society can make it difficult to slow down, let alone stop and sit in silence. We are living in an era of “time poverty” were we are caught in a constant state of “hurry sickness”. We consume massive amounts of caffeine to speed us up, eat fast foods to save us time, work while eating to stay productive, but we never catch up. It is possible to shift these behaviors! Why don’t you start by slowing down HERE and NOW. Health and happiness are strongly linked and both begin with slowing down to enjoy every moment of your life.
- See a therapist, life coach, health coach, wellness consultant etc..
Stay Healthy and Happy Hearty Souls ☺